Men and women often struggle with finding solutions to stop feeling sleepy. Rather than reaching for the coffee or sweets, our Florida physicians at Weight Success Centers want to help you discover unique and healthy ways to stimulate your senses, feel more energetic each day, and sleep better at night.
- INCREASE NUTRIENTS: Stamina, metabolic functions, and cell growth are all tied to nutrition. Increasing the amount of nutrients in your meals could help improve your overall health, support good sleep, and promote energy. Generally, a colorful array of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can help supply the nutrients needed to feel more awake and less sleepy.
- ENHANCE ENERGY: Feeling hungry and run down? Lean proteins like Greek yogurt, skinless chicken, seafood, hard-boiled eggs, seeds, nuts, and other plant proteins could pick you up. Just don’t reach for the junk foods. Those will make you feel worse; instead, boost energy with a healthy protein bar, a handful of almonds, or perhaps a serving of avocado spread on a slice of toast. In addition to healthy fats, avocados deliver minerals and vitamins, including vitamin E to enhance energy.
- STIMULATE SENSES: Forget the caffeine and sugar. Those are not the best ways to spice up life. Studies suggest that hot and spicy snacks, such red peppers, which contain a compound called capsaicin, can help increase energy and awaken your senses. Also, if treats excite you, indulge in a serving of dark chocolate to awaken your taste buds and increase serotonin levels in the brain.
- INCREASE EXERCISE: While it seems counter-intuitive when you feel tired, physical activity or a walk can help energize your body and help you outsmart sleepiness. Getting your blood pumping could help your brain feel more awake with each step. Additionally, a daily exercise routine can help ensure you are exerting pent-up energy throughout the day that could hinder sleep at nighttime.
- SLEEP BETTER: No matter how sleepy you feel, sometimes falling asleep and staying asleep is easier said than done. Rather than popping a pill, consider limiting things that could be working against you. Avoiding caffeinated and alcoholic beverages might be your best solution. Also, improving sleep hygiene with light-blocking curtains, aroma therapy or sound machines, as well as foods with melatonin and magnesium are all worth trying before reaching for a sleep medication that could leave you feeling sleepy or groggy during the day.
- SLEEP LONGER: Importantly, make sure you are getting the recommended 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. This time of year, when clocks fall back, you may trick yourself into thinking you are gaining an extra hour of sleep. This, however, only works if you go to bed one hour earlier. Try adjusting earlier bedtime schedules this fall to reap the potential benefits of the time change.
What healthy foods and activities help you outsmart sleepiness? Share your thoughts with us on Weight Success Centers’ social media sites. Contact Weight Success Centers for more information.